The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Spyder Excite Ski Pants Ladies Size S (10)Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
NICE 2015 Demarini Stadium CL22 USSSA Softball Bat WTDXST2-15 Chris Larsen 27ozNokona Pro Line CM47 30” Baseball Softball Catchers Mitt Left Hand ThrowGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Marucci Andrew McCutchen Cherry Maple Wood Baseball Bat Adult 32in 29ozsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
FW14 PUMA M HOME ITALY 15 BARZAGLI T-SHIRT WORLDWIDE SHIRT JERSEYFW14 PUMA L AWAY ITALY 9 BALOTELLI T-SHIRT WORLDWIDE WCUP SHIRT JERSEY
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.REEBOK SAN ANTONIO SPURS BASKETBALL SHOES SIZE 9.5
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
FW14 PUMA XL HOME ITALY 10 VERRATTI T-SHIRT WORLDWIDE SHIRT JERSEYK1X Paradoxum Mesh White Basketball shoes White Low CutCombi Shorty Impress SH S-Flex 0 3 32in -Jobe -solid, Flex, comfort wake-SUP-jet
Thunder Snow (20-1):Schutt Vengeance Titanium V-T-RJOP-AB Football Facemask - 30+ colors Available This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Calzamaglia Tour Sportful - black -  (XXXL)...
- Classic Cycle Cruiser Lenker black , 73 cm, rund gezogen, gemütlich und schön
- Shimano EW-JC130 E-Tube Y-split Routing Electric Wire JC130-SS JC130-SM JC130-MM
- Replacement Rear Derailleur Hanger For 2011 Cervelo Models
- G.T. 24 Inch BMX Old School ChRoMe HTF
- Orvis Access Mid Arbor V Fly Reel
- Shimano Spinning rod Soldy Advance 2.29 m × 1.3 × 10.8 mm from japan
- Daiwa Seahunter Surf 4,20m 100-250g, 11534-425
- Daiwa ACCULITE ACSS862MFS 8'6'' Spinning Rod
- Fox Micron Mx Plus Incluant Valise à COQUE Rigide
- Men Military Hunting BDU Pants Combat Gen2 Tactical Pants with Knee PadsGreen
- 2x40 Green Red Dot Sight Scope Tactical Optics Riflescope Fit Picatinny 20 11mm
- 80M x 2M Clear Fishing Fish Trap Monofilament Gill Net Nylon Silk Nets 3 layers
- 2019 Rawlings Quatro Pro -10 USA Baseball Little League Youth Bat - 30 20 oz.
- Victorinox - SwissChamp XLT - Ruby - Clear - Swiss Army SAK - Multi-Tool - 53504
- Premium Light Brown Border Onyx Stained Cornhole Board Game Set
- Original Original Trustfire AK-90 13000Lm 12 x T6 LED Flashlight Torch 5 modes
- Elite XLR Compound Bow String & Cable Set by ProLine Bowstrings
- DOBERT Frusta da carrozza punta lunga,manico pvc-grip