The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Uhlsport Classic SIDESTEP Large Padding Area Pro Soccer Goalkeeper Shorts XLClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
SPORTSHUB 5PCS LOT Ultra-light Training Soccer Jersey Football Training Vest2.5MM Boy's Diving Wetsuits Conjoined Short Sleeves Snorkeling Surfing SwimsuitGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Ski Snowboard Goggles Fit Over Glasses Snowmobile UV Predection Anti Fog Lenssince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Gul Hombre Neopreno Shirt Ausschlagsweste Camiseta de Baño Sonnenshirt Todos losEaston Magnum Little League Baseball Bat 30in 23oz MDL LK5 3023 ultra light 7046
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Vintage Baseball Catchers Mask Hang up Or Display on Shelf Man Cave Sports
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Jobe Youth Neoprene LifeVest Wakeboard Ski - bluee - Brand NewSet of 3 Surfboard Fins Honeycomb Half Carbon Fiber Surf Board Fins G3 G5 D3O4CHAMPRO Adult Terminator Integrated Football Pants Royal Large
Thunder Snow (20-1):Sciarpa Fiorentina Tubolare invernale purple Calcio Double Face Tutta purple Bella This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Tailwalk MASTER BUILD LIGHTJIGGING X48CORE C63ML Baitcasting Rod Slow Jigging
- Leupold Mark 4 ARD Anti-Reflection Device - 40mm
- Asics Womens Kayano 25 SP Running shoes Road Ortholite
- VDC SEAT POST 13 16 blueE ALLOY LONG FLUTED BMX RACE INC SE FMF SCHWINN VINTAGE
- NEW 13 Fishing Defy White Source X Spinning Rod Combo 2000 Size Reel DEFSORX67M-
- Talley Picatinny Rail for Browning A-Bolt Long Action PL0252000
- Limited color Megabus Sr-X Griffon Chocolate
- Tactical Level 3 Serpa Light Bearing Right Duty Holster for SIG SAUER P220 P226
- AmeriGlo UTSP134 Universal shoes Plate Sig P224 Sight Tool
- Adidas x A Bathing Ape BAPE Rifle Football Camo Green A Bathing Ape Super Bowl
- 6' Play house size CHEYENNE STYLE tipi teepee
- 15lb DV8 Zombie Spare Tenpin Bowling Ball - New & Undrilled.
- Ryobi R18ALW-0 18V ONE+ Cordless Area Light Body Only
- Baseball Bat - Wood - 28 With Ball
- Dynatrap Sonata 1 2 Acre Patio Camping Mosquito Shield Lantern Trap (Used)
- Collegiate Memory Foam Dressage Girth
- Controller for Currie eZip E-4.5, Schwinn 4.0
- Lemieux Plain GP Square Cotton Saddlepad
- Segway ninebot Authentic Front Hub Electric Motor ES1 - ES4 (US SELLER)
- Smoky Mountain Western Cowboy Boots Youth 5.5 Women's 7.5 Tan
- North Face Women's free Thinker Bib Gore Tex Tech Pant Snow Ski XL Long New